How to Get Involved
Besides finding your local Ziji group, you can participate in the work we do together as a global community to support and connect with each other. Are you interested in being part of a flourishing online community? We’d love for you to join our organizational efforts! Here’s how you can get involved.
Join a working group
Ziji’s Working Groups are how we organize ourselves to do practical work in the world. They are centered around different interests and issues for our global community of young meditators. As of October 2016, we’ve adopted the Working Groups model to replace the Ziji Council as a centralized leadership body, and we’re defining the current Working Groups in a series of weekly meetings. If you want to know more about the work of one or another Working Group, please feel free to contact that group’s contact person directly—they will be happy to talk to you.
Also, the Working Groups organize their work on the Ziji Collective Slack account and on Google Drive, so if you’d like to look at the work that’s going on across all the Working Groups please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation to those accounts. You can also email email@example.com to propose a new Working Group that you’d like to lead.
Finance Working Group
Contact person: Danielle Livellara (firstname.lastname@example.org) Other members: Yuko Barringer, Alex Rodriguez, Emma Siemens-Adolphe The Finances Working Group is responsible for developing tools and practices for how the Ziji Collective relates to money. This includes managing our relationship with banks and other financial institutions, developing accurate and transparent bookkeeping practices, and developing tools for fundraising and development of larger-scale projects.
Contact Us If:
- You need money for something Ziji-related
- You have an idea that could increase Ziji’s access to financial resources
- You want to work to take a wakeful attitude toward finances forward in general
Communications Working Group
Contact Person: Annica Crouse (email@example.com) Other Members: Fred Meyer, William Drescher The vision of the Communications Working Group is to create and maintain connections within the Ziji Collective that would not otherwise happen because of distance and lack of connectivity. Our goals are to create and maintain the Ziji Collective’s online/digital presence, make the right people aware of the activity of the other working groups, and maintain (digital) resources for general use within Ziji.
Contact Us If:
- You want to help connect people who share the Ziji vision
- You need help promoting something you’re working on
- You want to understand who’s doing what inside Ziji and how to get more involved
Expressions Working Group
Contact Person: Fred Meyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) Other Members: Dylan Bianchi The Expressions working group exists to promote the forms and practices that Ziji uses to express its vision of basic goodness and enlightened society. Some specific goals include:
- Creating a “How to Start a Ziji Group” online resource for people just getting started.
- Recording the basic details of existing forms, like mindful young meditators’ nights, mindful open mic nights, social meditation, and open space technology.
- Helping people understand where to learn more about each form in Ziji.
- Promoting the creation and inclusion of new forms: trying to figure out “what works and why it works” for new forms and practices.
- Specifically: piloting a form to make group study of the Buddhist and Shambhala teachings wakeful and uplifting, and starting one or more online study groups.
Contact Us If:
- You are interested in helping to record, promote, and develop wakeful forms and practices within Ziji
- You want to learn more about a specific form or practice, like social meditation or open-space technology
- You’re interested in exploring how Ziji’s overall vision—connecting with basic goodness and helping promote its expression as enlightened society—can be “crystallized” into specific ways of engaging with the world and each other
Coordination Working Group
Contact Person: Corey Adkins (email@example.com) Other Members: Bruno Límenes, Angela Valencia, Lia Duggan, Fred Meyer Coordination is the working group that serves as the connecting hub for global Ziji activity. It accomplishes this through:
- Vision (Lha):
- Maintaining awareness and vision of the activities of the different Working Groups within Ziji, through attending, participating, and checking in.
- Through this, holding an idea of “the big picture” and bringing this into conversations and calls.
- Action (Nyen):
- Holding the hosting of the weekly Ziji call.
- Serving as a connecting point with Shambhala International and other organizations.
- Suggesting, managing and supporting forms and platforms which aid the activities of Ziji.
- Development (Lhu):
- Working to aid in the development of Ziji Collective as an organization, including identifying and focusing activities in areas that are revealed to need support.
Contact Us If:
- You are curious about or would like to contribute to the development of new ideas that are not currently held within the structure of Ziji Collective.
- You would like to host one of our ongoing weekly calls.
- You are an outside organization looking for an administrative point of contact with Ziji Collective.
Summit Planning Working Group
Contact Person: Court Donner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Other Members: Danielle Livellara, Camille Carter The Summit Planning Working Group is organizing the upcoming Ziji Collective Summit in Nashville, TN, and establishing practices & conversations for future summits.
Contact Us If:
- You are interested in contributing to the organizing of venue, housing, transportation, finance, or any other aspect of event planning.
- You want to contribute your thoughts & ideas about past & future summits.
- You’re interested in joining conversations on when & where the summits are held.
Join a Weekly Call
We meet weekly on Saturday at 12 PM US Eastern time, to discuss issues and support your ideas and interests. Anyone is welcome to join! We start each call with a few minutes of sitting meditation, and an open place for us to bring anything we want to the table. We then follow it with an agenda that is determined each week by people submitting topics to the call host, who gathers them each week through our email list and Slack. If you’d like to join the call, you can do so at this link: https://zoom.us/j/752713684.
You can also sign up to host a weekly meeting here.
Join the discussion on our organizational platform, Slack
In lieu of emails, we use Slack to communicate and organize together. Slack is an organizational application that allows us to connect and share files and ideas! Through this tool we can converse on private and public channels, set up meetings and discussions, and share documents with great ease. Check out the overview here! Things you can see on Slack–
- Channels dedicated to Working Groups and Projects (#communications, #administration, #changesocial, #groupleaders, #westcoast, #socialmeditation, #expressions, etc.)
- General information and announcements
- Meeting notes, documents, and resources
- Private Message other Ziji members
- Upcoming Zoom Call meeting times and links
If you are interested in joining Ziji Collective’s Slack Channel, email your request to email@example.com.
Weigh in on decisions by using our decision making tool, Loomio
Loomio can be accessed via web browser at Loomio.org and it works as a central place for us to post any questions and conversations about Ziji Collective as a whole—and then move them to action items by making proposals. If you are interested in the direction of the Ziji Collective—regardless of your previous level of engagement— please feel invited to sign up and have a say in how we move forward. This platform really does make it so that anyone can start discussions and proposals—there is no central group making decisions for the rest of us. Simply signing up for Loomio means that you are self-identifying as an equal stakeholder in how we move forward as a group. In that spirit, we also invite you to invite others to join, as well. Click the link below to join the Ziji Collective’s Loomio group: https://www.loomio.org/invitations/f913a6f14651901ae692
To learn more about how we use Loomio, see this page:
Join us on Facebook
If you’re a young person interested in a space to engage authentically on social media, come join the discussion at the Ziji Collective International FB group! It’s a great way to stay connected to what’s happening locally and internationally, and to practice mindfulness on the internet — not always an easy feat!
Still have questions?
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org!